Iranian commander vows “harsher revenge” against the United States.

President Trump backed away from all-out conflict with Iran on Wednesday, brushing off a missile attack against U.S. troops in Iraq while declining to escalate a confrontation that appeared to be on the brink of spiraling out of control. There were no American or Iraqi troops injured in the attacks on the Al Asad and Erbil bases.

Iran said it launched the strikes late Tuesday in retaliation for the airstrike that killed Iranian Major General Qassem Soleimani last week. The U.S. had “multiple hours” of warning prior to the attacks, which was plenty of time for troops to take shelter in bunkers, a defense official told CBS News.

Relief in Tehran after Trump’s speech

While Iran’s military commanders are vowing to fight on with the goal of getting U.S. forces to leave the region, the headline in Tehran on Thursday was that — in the short term — the U.S. isn’t planning another military strike. Residents went about their business feeling safer.

One resident, Caroline, told CBS News senior foreign correspondent Elizabeth Palmer she had been afraid of the prospect of an all-out war. Like millions of others in Iran, she listened to President Trump’s speech on Wednesday very closely. She said she was relieved when he said there would not be any further American attack, and she “slept very well” after his remarks.

Mr. Trump indicated Wednesday he plans no further military response against Iran in a statement intended to lower tension in the Middle East. “The fact that we have this great military and equipment, however, does not mean we have to use it,” Mr. Trump said. “We do not want to use it.”

On Iranian state-run TV, the president’s decision not to strike back was framed as a climb-down by the U.S., and a win for Iran’s Revolutionary Guard.

Iranian commander vows “harsher revenge” against U.S.

A member of Iran’s joint chiefs of staff vowed on Thursday there would be “harsher revenge” taken against the United States. Abdollah Araghi said Iran’s Revolutionary Guard “will impose a harsher revenge on the enemy in the near future,” according to the semi-official Tasnim news agency.

The general chosen to replace Iranian General Qassem Soleimani, who was killed in a U.S. airstrike last week, also said Thursday he would follow the same path as his predecessor.

The messages show that the U.S. can’t afford to let its guard down. They also highlight continued deep divisions inside Iranian society, CBS News senior foreign correspondent Elizabeth Palmer reports. Iran’s political leaders said Wednesday the Islamic Republic had “concluded” its response to America’s killing of Soleimani.

Read the original article on cbs news