It is a normal thing that we have accidents at home from time to time which can result into wounds or even burns. When frying fish and other things you can get burnt with oil. Or you have an accident wit hot water or a hot pot, or with fire itself. It is important to know how to handle this minor accidents. And even if it is a major issue where you have to go to the hospital, it is important to do a little first aid before going to the hospital. It can be useful for children and also for adults.
Home remedies to treat minor burns
To treat minor burns, you can simply follow the following steps,
1. Firstly, hold the burned area under cool running water it will help cool down the burn. If there is no running water, you can simply apply a cool, wet cloth on the burnt place and compress until the pain eases. Note that, it is not advisable to put ice on burns because it will instead cause more harm than good.
2. Secondly, if the burn is on your hand for example, remove all bracelets or ring on that hand before your finger swells up. If you delay, you might end up not being able to remove them when the hand is swollen.
3. When you realize the burn has cooled down completely, apply a lotion to the affected area. A lotion or moisturizer so that it helps to keep the place moisturized and preventing it from drying up.
4. Depending on the degree of the burn, you can bandage it with a sterile gauze bandage (not fluffy cotton). Make sure you tie it loosely, if you tie it hard then you will be applying much pressure on the wound which will instead cause more harm than good.
5. If the pain is unbearable, you can take some pain killers like ibuprofen, acetaminophen, or any pain killer that works with you. This pain killers will help reduce the pain and make you feel much better.
6. It is also important to take an anti-tetanus injection so that you can prevent your self from having tetanus.
7. Another remedy my mum uses to use on me when I was a child and she still uses it till now. When hot water burns you or hot oil, rapidly rub salt, or palm oil on the affected area. It will help prevent the affected area from swelling.
8. Another remedy is to rub honey on the affected area or to rub neem oil to the affected area. It relieves you from the pain and also make it heal fast.
It is good to note that, these remedies can be used on both adults and children. If you think the burn is not a minor one, then do a first aid using any of these methods then rush to the hospital for better checkup and treatment.