Heartburn is a burning feeling in the chest caused by stomach acid traveling up towards the throat (acid reflux). If it keeps happening, it’s called gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD). Heartburn if often caused by pregnancy, stress and anxiety, smoking, being overweight, certain types of food and also some medicines etc. suffering from heartburn regularly, it is good to note that there are things you have to do and things that you do not have to do to avoid heartburn from occurring.
Simple ways to ease heartburn;
Tips To Treat Heartburn
- Sip apple cider vinegar mixed with water. This will help because Apple cider vinegar has an alkalizing effect on the body which will help balance out the excess acid in the body.
- Mix baking soda and water and drink it will help neutralize the stomachs acid which will make you feel better. Note that, baking soda has an alkalizing effect on the body.
- Too much weight is another cause for heartburn, so if you are overweight, it is advisable to lose some weight. This is because, the fat around the belly puts pressure and the stomach acids get released causing heartburn.
- If you have never been a victim of heart burn and you sudden realize this pain when you take a particular medication, then it is good to meet your doctor, or stop the medication. Some medicines which cause heartburn in some people include, mineral supplements, and pain killers.
- Avoid smoking as much as possible. It is good to note that, smoking is another main reason and cause of chronic heartburn.
- Eat a banana or an apple as soon as you feel any heart burn. It is advisable to do so because Bananas and apples have natural antacids that help to fight acids.
- Pregnancy is another cause for heartburn even though not all women experience this. If you happen to experience heartburn during this period, it is more advisable to eat 6 times in small quantities rather than eating three times a day in very heavy quantities. Also, during pregnancy you need to exercise like walking around from time to time. Don’t stay on one place the whole day.
Despite these many home remedies, there is a level at which you need to rush and see a doctor. For example, if you suffer from heartburn more than twice a week, if you are facing difficulties in swallowing, if the medications he gave you is provoking the heartburn, and also if you have persistent vomiting or nausea. If you notice this a lot then it is good to see a doctor.