The tongue to begin with is a muscular organ in the mouth, covered with moist, pink tissue called mucosa, it also has tiny bumps called papillae which give the tongue the rough texture it has. Taking care of the tongue is sometimes neglected by many people, which is not good. Note that, it is very important to take care of your tongue because this part of the body plays very many important roles, it allows you to enjoy the taste of your food, it allows you to chew, swallow and even talk. However, it is good to note that, if not well taken care of, the tongue is also a home for many bacteria to live. Below is a list of simple things you can do to take care of your tongue;
How to properly take care of your tongue
- Drink green tea: to help keep your tongue clean and much more healthy, drinking green tea is considered very beneficial because, it greatly helps in reducing the bacteria in the mouth, thereby killing mouth odor.
- Drink a lot of water: as we all know and according to many health practitioners, the overall health and functionality of your entire body dwell a lot on staying hydrated and eating right. Regarding your tongue’s health, drinking water helps to wash away the bacteria and leftover food from your tongue and teeth. Thereby keeping your tongue and mouth clean and fresh.
- Regularly brush your tongue: at times, we hurriedly brush our teeth and forget to brush our tongue, which should not be the case. It is important to brush your tongue because, it helps eradicate any bacteria in the mouth that could cause issues in your mouth, or tongue or even cause mouth odor.
- Eat a healthy diet: it might be shocking to you but it is good to know that the tongue is a muscle and just like any other muscle it has to be well taken care of. Eating healthy helps to keep your tongue strong and healthy and according to researchers, it is advisable to eat things like garlic, onion, and coconut. These things are recommended because they help fight the harmful bacteria that stay on the tongue.
- Avoid smoking: smoking is very harmful to human health and concerning the tongue’s health smoking can cause cancer of the tongue which comes with a firm crater and which also results in making your tongue pain when you try to talk.
How to properly wash your tongue: Choose a soft-bristle toothbrush, then stick your tongue out as far as it can go, position your toothbrush at the back of the tongue, and brush lightly forward and backward along your tongue. Spit out saliva that appears during the brushing and rinses out the toothbrush with warm water. After cleaning your tongue, make sure you rinse your mouth with clean water.