People who have kidney disease or kidney failure are at a higher risk of developing coronary heart disease. It’s very, very common. These ten suggestions will assist you to reduce your risk of getting a coronary heart ailment—or keep a coronary heart ailment from worsening.
If you have diabetes, you should keep your blood sugar under control.
Check your blood sugar level as frequently as your healthcare company recommends.
Follow your remedy plan of medicine, food regimen, and exercise.
Ask your healthcare company approximately which diabetes medicines are excellent for you. Some drug treatments can be higher than others while you are on dialysis.
7 Health tips for dialysis patients
Controlling High Blood Pressure
Take all of your blood pressure drug treatments as instructed. Some drug treatments referred to as angiotensin-changing enzyme inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers assist in defending your kidneys and coronary heart. If you are no longer taking them, inquire with your healthcare provider about them.
Ask your healthcare crew what your blood stress analysis must be. For many human beings, it must be much less than 140/90 before your remedy and much less than 130/80 after it.
Follow your fluid and sodium (salt) limits to keep more fluid from building up.
Your food regimen must no longer consist of more than 2000 mg of sodium daily (or five grams of salt a day).
Speak to your dietitian as soon as a month.
Inquire with your dialysis care team if the following steps should help you save fluid buildup:
Increasing fluid elimination in the course of dialysis (referred to as ultrafiltration)
longer or more frequent dialysis treatments.
Reduce Your Cholesterol Levels:
- Make sure you’ve got an annual blood test for the following:
- Total LDL cholesterol
- Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) “bad” cholesterol
- High-density lipoprotein (HDL) is “good” cholesterol.
- Inquire with your doctor about what your LDL cholesterol goals should be. If your tires aren’t within the wholesome range, you must:
- Follow a low-fat food regimen.
- Increase bodily activity.
- Ask about a medicinal drug to assist in decreasing LDL cholesterol, if necessary.
Follow a Heart-Healthy Diet:
- Eat ingredients low in saturated fat and LDL cholesterol.
- Limit excessive-phosphorus ingredients like dairy, nuts, seeds, dried beans and peas, and dark sodas.
- Speak to your dietitian about the best way to get the proper quantity of protein and energy to maintain a healthy weight.
- Increase ingredients that can be excessive in coronary heart-wholesome omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon, flaxseeds, soybeans, walnuts, and canola oil.
Increased Physical Activity:
- Ask your doctor if you should start with physical therapy to improve your energy and patience before increasing your physical activity.
- Start exercise slowly and build up step by step to approximately a half-hour maximum on five days of the week.
- Exercise frequently to assist.
- improve the levels of bad LDL cholesterol.
- Get rid of excess weight.
- Controlling your blood sugar and blood pressure
- Improve the health of your coronary arteries and lungs.
- The majority of people who have kidney disease or kidney failure have widespread anemia.
- Anemia approach Your frame does no longer have sufficient wholesome pink blood cells.
- Anemia may be dealt with pills referred to as ESAs (erythropoietin-stimulating agents) and further iron. They assist your body in making pink blood cells.
- Treatment of anemia can assist in keeping a coronary heart ailment from happening. If you have already got a coronary heart ailment, it may help keep it from getting worse.
- Correcting anemia facilitates keeping the muscle at the left facet of the coronary heart from thickening. If this muscle becomes thick, it makes it miles more difficult for the coronary heart to pump blood.
Keep calcium and phosphorus in balance:
- Calcium and phosphorus are vital vitamins that your body needs. However, most dialysis patients have a significant calcium and phosphorus imbalance. This can result in bone and coronary heart ailments.
Maintain the stability of those vital minerals by:
Following a low-phosphorus food regimen
- Taking drug treatments referred to as phosphate binders together with your food and snacks
- Taking a lively form of nutrition D if prescribed through your healthcare company
- Stop Smoking:
- Smoking increases your risk of coronary heart disease and blood vessel disease.
- If you smoke, ask your healthcare company to refer you to a program that will help you quit.
- Talk to your healthcare provider about taking aspirin to prevent heart attacks.
- Aspirin may also be recommended by your healthcare provider to help you avoid heart attacks.
- Aspirin may no longer cause you to have bleeding problems, but your health care provider will want to make sure.
- Stressful emotions like sadness, anger and fear can also contribute to coronary heart disease.
- Your social employee will allow you to discover ways to deal with traumatic emotions and must talk with you while you begin dialysis and at ordinary periods after that.
- Psychological counseling and medicine can also be recommended.