What are some of the health benefits of turmeric?
Turmeric is a spice that is made from the Curcuma longa plant. It has been used for centuries in traditional medicine to treat many health conditions. Recently, scientific research has been done to back up these claims and look into the possible health benefits of turmeric.
Health Benefits of Turmeric
There are a lot of health benefits to turmeric, like reducing inflammation, fighting cancer, and improving your cognitive abilities.
- One of the main benefits of turmeric is that it reduces inflammation. Inflammation is responsible for many diseases and conditions, such as arthritis, heart disease, and cancer. Turmeric can help to reduce inflammation by blocking certain enzymes and proteins that cause inflammation.
- Turmeric is also known for its anti-cancer properties. One study found that turmeric can help kill cancer cells and stop them from spreading.
- Finally, turmeric has been shown to improve cognitive function. One study found that curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, improved memory and attention span in people with Alzheimer’s disease. Curcumin was also found to increase levels of BDNF, a protein that is important for cognitive function.
- Turmeric has shown promise for its ability to ease joint pain, stiffness, and inflammation. If you decide to try it for your joint pain, help your body absorb natural curcumin by eating your turmeric along with black pepper.
- Turmeric helps treat acne. Putting a turmeric mask on their skin or eating turmeric will help fight stubborn pimples — because of the spice’s reported antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
As you can see, turmeric has many amazing health benefits. If you are looking for a way to improve your health, I highly recommend adding turmeric to your diet.
Some side effects of using turmeric in excess
- Turmeric can cause high blood sugar
- Turmeric increases thirst,
- Turmeric increases urination,
- Turmeric cause dry mouth, fruity breath odor, headache, blurred vision.
- Turmeric causes nausea, and upset stomach (diarrhea)
Always remember that when you take turmeric, you do not have to take it in excess.