Spinach (Spinacia oleracea) is a leafy green vegetable that belongs to the amaranth family and is related to beets and quinoa. Eating spinach according to researchers is very good for the human body because it is loaded with nutrients and antioxidants.
Some Nutritional Facts of 100grams of spinach.
Known for its great nutritional values, it is important to know that, 100grams of spinach contains 91% of water, 2.9 grams of proteins, 2.2 grams of fiber, 0.4 grams of fats, 3.6 grams of carbohydrates, and 0.4 grams of sugar, thereby proving its nutritional value.
4 Health benefits of eating Spinach
1. Spinach helps in maintaining good vision
Spinach being dark green contains carotenoids like beta-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin, which are good at promoting good vision. Added to this, this leafy green contains, high levels of chlorophyll, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancerous nutrient which are important for your eye’s health and in preventing eye illnesses like cataracts.
2. Spinach helps improve energy
spinach is very rich in iron, a mineral that plays an important role in the better functioning of red blood cells which help transport oxygen around the body and support energy production and DNA synthesis. According to some research, eating this leafy green vegetable will in one way or the other help boost your energy level.
3. Spinach gives you strong and healthy bones
spinach contains a whole lot of Vitamin K and is a rich source of nutrients like phosphorous, magnesium, and calcium, which as we know are great nutrients to ingest because of the role they play when it comes to having stronger and healthier bones.
4. Spinach may help support the hearts health
In the same light as beetroots, spinach contains a compound known as nitrate which helps in improving blood flow and pressure which in return thereby promotes dilation. Note that, a reduction in blood pressure helps reduce the chances of you having things like stroke and even heart disease.
Almost everything we do in this life has side effects especially when you exaggerate how you use them. The same thing applies to food. It is important to eat spinach but when you consume it in excess, some side effects come with it.
Side effects of overeating spinach
- Too much spinach intake at one time or over some time may have a toxic effect on the body
- Also, eating spinach in excess can cause bloating, cramps and gas
- Excess spinach consumption can equally lead to kidney stones because it contains oxalates a compound that if consumed in excess can form stones in the human system.
- Eating spinach in excess aggravates the symptoms of gouts