Okra is a slimy small spear shaped green vegetable with a mild taste.
Okra or Okro , Abelmoschus esculentus, known in many English-speaking countries as ladies’ fingers or ochro, is a flowering plant in the mallow family. Its edible green seed pods are a food.
Health Benefits of Okra ;
1. Okra may support ulcer healing:
Okra to begin with, coats or protects the digestive tract when you consume it. This vegetable helps speed up the healing process of peptic ulcers found in your body.
2. Okra keeps you feeling full:
Okra contains dietary fiber which helps to keep you feel full for long period of time. With this full feeling, you will be able to reduce your cravings and snacking.
3. Okra may fights cancer:
okra is a vegetable that is packed with antioxidant. These antioxidant in turn provide support to cells to fight cancer causing free-radicals.
4. Okra aids digestion:
the high fibers found in okra is very beneficial for the digestive tract. It makes you more regular and makes you feel much healthier.
5. Okra may helps boosts the immune system:
okra contains healthy fibers which are good for good bacteria’s found in the intestines which can boost your immune system. When these good bacteria’s are feed, it helps build immunity against infections and viruses.
6. Okra is a low-calorie food:
okra contains low calorie counts which help you stay in shape without putting on weight. This is actually a good vegetable for those following a weight loss program.
7. Okra is great for your skin
Okra is high in Vitamin C which helps in growing and rejuvenating skin cells. This vitamin also helps keep the skin healthier, younger and smother.
Okra treats the hair
Simply boil okra, leave it to get cold, and mix it with lemon juice. Then apply this mixture on your hair. Wait for some time before you wash it off. It will give your hair a healthier look.
- Okra helps control cholesterol level
- Okra stabilizes blood sugar levels
- Okra helps prevent diabetes
- Okra helps prevent kidney disease
- Eating okra is not harmful to the body, however, excess consumption can be harmful. It is said that having too much of okra can increase the testes size and weight.
- Kidney stones: Okra contains a high amount of oxalates, which is a main culprit when it comes to developing kidney stones.