7 Health Benefits of Guava
Guava is a tropical fruit native to Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean, and South America. Its skin is typically yellow or light green. Guava tastes like a cross between pineapple and strawberry, with flesh similar to a pear. This fruit is loved by many and also has health benefits just like other fruits.
1. Heart healthy
Guava fruit improve the levels of the good cholesterol (HDL) in the human body. This particular fruit also helps to improve the balance of sodium and potassium in the body. Thereby regulating blood pressure in patients with hypertension.
Equally, guava reduces the levels of bad cholesterol which is one of the developers of heart diseases.
2. Guava helps treat constipation
As weird as it may sound, guavas actually help relieve constipation. This fruit is among the richest sources of dietary fiber which is very good for the digestive system. Guava seeds actually act as excellent laxatives too, which ease the formation of healthy bowel movements.
3. Guava helps improve eyesight
Guava contains vitamin A which is a good for the eye’s health. This fruits help prevent eyesight degradation, improves eyesight, slows down the appearance of cataracts and macular degeneration.
4. Guava During Pregnancy
Guava’s contain folic acid and vitamin B-9 which is highly recommended for pregnant women. These nutrients actually help in the development of the baby’s nervous system and it also protects the baby from neurological disorders.
5. Guava leaves ease Toothache
Guava leaves contain anti-inflammatories and a powerful antibacterial ability which fights infection and kills germs. The juice of guava leaves is known to cure toothaches, swollen gums and oral ulcers. This therefore makes this a good home remedy for toothaches.
6. Guavas help ease cough and cold
The juice of raw and immature guavas or a decoction of guava-leaves is very helpful in relieving cough and cold since it helps get rid of mucus and disinfects the respiratory tract, throat and lungs.
7. Contain Anti-Ageing Properties
Guavas are rich in vitamin A, vitamin C and antioxidants like carotene and lycopene which help protect the skin from wrinkles.
- Lowers Risk of Cancer
- Immunity Booster
Side Effects of Consuming Guavas;
Guava is generally safe and nutritious for most people. However, the fruit contains compounds that may not be good for everyone. People with some health issues are not advised to consume guavas;
- Gastrointestinal issues: You should avoid guava if you develop any unpleasant symptoms such as nausea or abdominal discomfort upon eating it.
- Eczema: People with eczema should avoid guava leaf extract because it contains chemicals that can cause skin irritation and may even worsen the symptoms.
- Before surgery: Avoid using guava as a medicine or supplement at least two weeks before surgery because guava can lower blood sugar levels and increase the risk of bleeding.