Can Fish Oil Benefit Our Health?
To begin, Fish oil is gotten from the tissues of oily fish. For people who often consume fish, it is not really important to take fish oil because it is in the fish already.
Note that, some fish contain high levels of mercury. So, eating fatty fish on occasion while taking a supplement is the preferred way to maintain a good level of omega-3 fatty acids in your diet.
Sardines, oysters, turbot, mackerel, herring, salmon, rainbow trout, lake trout, yellow fin tuna, blue fin tuna, and albacore tuna are good sources of omega-3 fatty acids.
Some Health benefits of fish oil;
1. Good For The Heart
Fish contains omega-3 fatty acids which is good for your cardiovascular health. This is because, omega-3s decrease chances of having cardiovascular diseases and heart arrhythmias
Also, omega-3s lowers bad cholesterol while increasing the level of good cholesterol. Fish oil also prevents the buildup of triglycerides.
Fish contains anti-inflammatory properties in the blood and tissues. For those suffering from chronic inflammatory diseases, regularly incorporating fish oil into your diet will help you. It cold be in the form of fish itself, pills, tablets, or supplements,
Also, those suffering from gastrointestinal disorders, fish oil helps treat the symptoms of Celiac disease, colitis, and inflammatory bowel disease.
Fish oil is effective in helping those suffering from ulcerative colitis because it inhibits the buildup of leukotriene in the colon.
3. Supports Immune System
Regularly incorporating fish oil into your diet, improves your ability to fight illnesses like flu, cold, and cough.
Fish oil contains omega-3 fatty acids which promote the amount and activity of eicosanoids and cytokines in the body.
Taking a fish oil supplement may also help treat rashes, fatigue, and fevers.
4. Healthy Skin
It is very important to keep your skin moist, and healthy. In this effect, fish oil treats dry skin, acne, eczema, lesions, rashes, redness, and itching.
Fish oil tackles acne by preventing the formation of androgen, which creates sebum in the hair follicle, the main catalyst of acne. Therefore, maintaining a diet rich in fish oil is very beneficial.
5. Fight Depression
Regularly consuming fish oil supplements helps to decrease instances of depression. This is because of the omega-3 fatty acid found in this oil. It helps relieve early symptoms of depression, restlessness, anxiety, sadness, depression suicidal tendencies, decreased sex drive, and mental fatigue
Other health benefits of fish oil include;
- Fish oil treats pain associated with these inflammatory diseases (arthritis)
- Fish oil aids with weight loss
- Fish oil improves vision and prevents age-related vision degeneration.
Some Side Effects of Fish oil;
- As beneficial as fish oil may be, excessive omega-3 fatty acids, in the body can cause bleeding gums, nosebleeds, high blood sugar, low blood pressure, diarrhea and insomnia
- High intake of omega-3 fatty acids could slow blood clotting to such a degree as to increase the risk of hemorrhagic stroke.
- Fish oil contains high amounts of vitamin A, it is possible to develop vitamin A toxicity by taking too much. Symptoms include dizziness, nausea, joint pain, and skin irritation.
How To Make Fish Oil?
- Use oily fish like salmon or sardines and cut it into small pieces.
- Put the fish chunks into the glass jar
- Put the washcloths over the top of the jar, and secure it in place with the rubber band. The washcloth will let gases escape from the jar and prevent insects from getting inside.
- Let the jar sit in the sun for 4 weeks. There will be liquid sitting on top of the fish. You will see fluid produced from decomposition and a thick yellow substance floating on top of the fluid. The yellow substance is the fish oil.
- Take the washcloths off the jar so you can get to the oil. Skim the oil off the top of the liquid using a spoon. You can put the oil into a small plastic container of your choice. Whatever type of container you use, make sure it can be sealed.
- Dispose of the contents in the jar. You can simply dump the remains on the ground or bury it in a small hole. Fish will not harm your soil or the environment.
NOTE THAT, excess consumption of this oil can lead to some negative side effects. so while consuming fish or fish oi, be concious of your eating rate.