Many people ask “how are plantains are useful to the body”. Today, we’ll be talking about the use of plantains, what they give to the body,
Plantain is a major group of the banana varieties that serve as food in many homes all over the world. This banana type has more starch than the common dessert banana and it is not eaten raw and it. Plantains have more starch when they are unripe, they are usually cooked green, either boiled or fried, in savory dishes. The ripe plantain is mildly sweet and are often cooked without adding the sugar or sweet type of food ingredients. Plantains could also be stored dry for later use in cooking or ground for use as a meal, which can be further refined to a flour.
Plantain is also a common name for unrelated plants of the (Genus Plantago) which is a family of (Plantaginaceae).
How can plantains be Beneficial to you?
- Plantains help in maintaining the body cells and body fluids that control your heart rate and blood pressure.
- Plantains contain resistant starch which act as probiotics. They help in promoting the growth of healthy bacteria in the colon. Equally, plantains contain fiber which help in improving bowel functions and movements.
- Ripe plantain contains carbohydrate considered as “complex carbohydrate” which help in giving energy. This complex carbohydrate actually contains starch, fiber, and sugar.
- Plantains help you to control your eating. Plantains is a heavy food and so when eaten it makes you full for a long period of time.
- Unripe plantains contain special nutrients which help prevent diseases like; Diabetes and Anemia.
- It might sound strange but according to some research, plantains help to solve menstrual problems like; Menstrual Cramps.
- Plantains help treat Anemia and Neuritis. Plantain contains the mineral iron (when unripe) and vitamin B6 which help in the adequate production of red blood cells in the body and as well prevents anemia and neuritis which manifests when they are deficient in the body.
- Plantains help prevent Ulcer. Unripe plantain also contains manganese, potassium, and leucocyanidin which is one of the phytochemical properties. These properties help helps to promote as well as increase the secretion of mucus in the stomach.
Disadvantages of eating plantains;
- Because of its higher resistant starch content, unripe plantain may cause some gas and bloating.
- Some people are allergic to plantains. Some popular allergy symptoms include things like trouble breathing, itching and swelling (of the lips, tongue and throat). If you are allergic to plantain it is preferable you avoid it as much as possible.